Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Fee, Fi, Fo, Felony!

Confidence and courage are two things that are not easily gained.

This morning, I wanted to help a friend out by forcing him into a situation where he did something that he had to do in order to move on in his life. So we waited for half an hour in front of his locker, trying to make him gain up the courage to bite the bullet. Then the moment of truth comes and... he does nothing.

I kick him. As any good friend would when the guy they waste half an hour on blows their chance. Then I ditch him, and go do lighting for the play until lunch.

Upon leaving the tech booth 15 minutes into lunch, I see him again, and force him down the hallway of his fear. Thus, he tries to jerk away, and I grab his backpack. Our two forces cancel out, and we are stuck in a state of equilibrium. In slow motion, the seconds tick off, until he makes his move and removes his backpack.

Now I'm up blackmail potential, and a backpack. Life is good! I walk down to my usual spot for lunch (the computer room) and work there until the end of third period, with my friend not coming and claiming his bag. Luckily, I know where his fourth period class is, so I give him his bag back.

Oh no, here he comes with a deranged look on his face, wielding a... BIC pen?! My days are obviously numbered. It turns out that he had an assignment due in third. I leave the math room hastily, only to be informed that his English teacher had paged me in both my third and fourth classes, and that my "friend" had been severely torn. Not to mention the fact that my math teacher had been paging me as well.

Did I steal my friend's bag? And if so, how far gone is this whole thing? Will I be suspended?

All I know is that my math teacher is mad/confused, my Chemistry is confused, his English teacher is mad at me, and there is the potential for other people to question me soon enough.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition? Well, I do. And if I get skewered, then I may be lucky.

The moral? If you are going to make someone do the right thing, be wary of how you do it. I made my friend do the right thing, but now I have some explaining to do.

3 comments:

truktruktruk said...

You didn't steal his bag, since you had no intent of keeping it. It seems like it was an impulsive thing to do, so that usually doesn't end well, but if you suffer an punishment worse than a lecture/warning/slap on the wrist, I would call that unjust!

Kurt supports me on this, and believes you displayed impecable integrity; you just lacked a bit on the intelligence.

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Certainly not I, but you are much wiser than I.

The Man With The Plan said...

Impulsive, perhaps. However, I thought through what it would do to him, and it paid off. In fact, I found a nickel today! Yes!

And I'm wearing a cape tonight, just because I can. And eating candy, since moving a spot light back and forth, to and fro... You get hungry, and bored. Although singing along with the songs is fun. Plus, I now know all the inaccuracies!

truktruktruk said...

I'm going to wear a cape to the next poker tourney I go, because you inspired me. I have to dig it out of the Halloween stuff though. But I just realized how useful having a cape handy at all times would be.

Thank you Jesus!