Friday, February 24, 2006

Don't Call Us; We'll Call You!

Let me start of this with a very simple statement. Touch-tone phones are fun. They are quite fun. I have learnt to play some simple, and original, tunes on them. It is fun. There's nothing quite like playing on a touch-tone phone. I think that it sound be an official musical instrument. And if it can be, then I want to play it.

Now don't get me wrong. A nice guitar song is good. And the piano isn't half bad either. But the touch-tone phone has helped make this world great. It's connected the lives of people all over the world. It's responsible for business being successful, and other ones not being. It has only been around for the past 50+ years, but everyone has at least one phone, or can easily access one. Who can say that of other instruments?

And what about the clarity of tone? Sure, other instruments may have a richer sound, but when you get down to it, those are just impurities in the tone. Plus, you don't need to spend hours tuning a complex instrument with a touch-tone phone. And they're cheap! Do you know how much it costs for a touch-t0ne phone? Almost nothing!

Also, the touch-tone phone is light weight. Compared with the bulky tuba, or massive Grand Piano, it's a breeze to carry. Sure, there may be smaller instruments like the flute or triangle, but the former you need to blow into, which is work, and the latter is only monotonic. Not much fun, in my opinion.

But what if you've just learnt a new piece of music? How will you be able to play it for friends and family? Especially if they're far away? Well, you could record the music. That's one option. But, is you're musical instrument is the touch-tone phone, then you can play it for anyone, anywhere! That's communicating music. That's spreading peace and harmony. That's good.

Finally, I would like to say that if anyone wants to join in my touch-tone phone band, I'll take auditions some time in the near future. So sign up (if, and only if you really want to though)!

1 comment:

truktruktruk said...

There's a neat band called HORSE The Band that use a NES style synth.

All of their songs are about old nintendo games.

Anyway, I will join your band if I can play my squeaky shoes!

OC/DC Rawks.