Monday, March 06, 2006

Friends and Family of the Bride and Groom Are Invited On This Momentous Occasion

This may sound niave to many of you, but I’ve never had much of a distinction between friends and family. And a recent article I read helped to bring that to my attention. Sure, we have family thrust upon us, but friends are something we choose; we may not choose well. Now having said that, I treat my friends as family. Perhaps not all of them as imidiate family, granted, but as family nonetheless.

For example, some of my best friends I consider brothers and sisters in my life. They may not always make the best decisions, but hey, they’re still family to me. I’ll be there to help them through a tough time, and I know that they’ll do the same. Other friends of mine are more cousinly in nature. We may not see each other often, and we may not know everything about each other, but we’re still there for one another when we need it, and we still have a good time when we can get together.

Finally, there are second-cousins. These are the people in my life who I see every once in a while, we rarely talk as a casual nod in the hallway is fine enough for us, but I’ll still be there for them if they need it. I may not know that their dog just died, and they don’t know that I was sick for a week, but we know that the other person is there to help us get by with things, if the need arises.

Yet everyone I’m friends with, are a part of my family. That’s why I’m almost thinking about adopting a few of you when I’m older, and I’ve moved out on my own. If it’s legal, and you’re still my friend, I’ll be willing to adopt you as a relative, even if it’s only honorary. Family looks after its own, after all. And that’s what I do for my friends.

Hell, while blood is thicker than water, love is thicker than blood. Let solidify our relationship and show the more naive people on this planet how we feel. Sure, maybe it’s utopian in feel, but I’ve always been an idealist. So don’t hesitate; join into the family.

Just comment and I’ll let you in. Who knows who you’ll end up related to. Time shall tell.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No comments yet. Let me be the first to say, you've already identified me as one through talking today. So thanks. I need all the friends/family I can get. The more people who understand me the better.

The Man With The Plan said...

You are more than welcome Harrison. I would like to say that you're welcome, but also to thank you for allowing me into your life. That also takes trust and a bit of courage to do something like that. And I know it hurts when you're betrayed. So I just want to tell everyone that I'm thankful that they've let me into their lives. Our friendship has made an impact on my life. Thank you again.