Friday, March 17, 2006

Ah, Childhood

Do you remember being young and innocent? Your whole world was your neighborhood. You knew that there was a friend just a few doors down, ready to play when you were. Your mind was full of dreams to be an astronaut, a veterinarian, a knight, a princess, and so many other things. Every day was full of discovery, and you always had fun. Whether it was playing baseball on the street until sunset, having a tea party with your dolls, or just watching the clouds go by, each day was well spent.

Now? Now we had school taking up time, jobs to get paid, and a myriad of responsibilities on our shoulders. If we had these things when we were five, we'd be overwhelmed. But that's the unfortunate thing with time and age. We become able to handle more, and thus we get more responsibility. And I hate it.

What about the day off? I remember days when my parents would tell me in kindergarten that today I wasn't going to school, but instead we were going to a museum. Or just out to a park for a picnic that day. Those days were always the sweetest for me. School was something of a bore but still fun, yet being out in nature playing when I was supposed to be working was always a great experience.

And then I got a conscience. I matured and ate the forbidden fruit. Now I feel guilty when I skip homework in favour of having fun. I've been saddled with the burdens of helping people with their problems, the world has shown me its darker side with people starving, and my old, blissful neighbourhood appears more ragged around the edges than I remember.

Looking back I wish I could relive the blissful parts of my youth. Seeing the beauty in a bird flying around my yard. Watching leaves fall off the trees for hours. Being able to play in the same backyard for months on end and yet still finding new things about it every day. Testing your limits every day by running, jumping, and doing whatever you can.

But the thing I miss most is not caring what people think. When you were young, you did whatever you wanted, not caring what people thought. If you saw a fence, you climbed it. You saw someone you liked, you ran up and hugged them. Being told that something was a bad thing, you had to test out if it really was.

There were also no stereotypes. Sure girls acted more one way and boys acted another, but there was still overlap. If you wanted to skip, then you went right ahead. Want to play baseball? Well, if you got a mitt and could throw a ball, you could play. There were no races, ethnicities, or barriers. You were just the kid down the street who I was friends with.

Now we have racism instilled in us by our parents and society, all these new stereotypes put on us, and we lose the simplicity that the world was when we were just 5. Our parents are no longer these magical people who can solve every problem we have but turn out to be mortals like ourselves. The world has lost its magic. We no longer think that births are so amazing, and a summer rain loses its allure, because now we know how it all happens.

Well, I don't care. I'm not giving in without a fight. So don't be surprised if you see me staring up at clouds, skipping places, or singing to myself. I'll go for walks at 11 PM when I feel like it. I won't listen to my parents saying "Eating all those sweets is bad for you!" I'll ignore all social conventions. I'm not supposed to drink out of the hose? Too bad! These leaves are filled with bugs? I'm still jumping in them! Yes, this candy just fell in the dirt, but it’s still tasty.

Want to join me in reclaiming my lost bliss? It's not hard. Phone me up one day and we'll skip through the woods together, or just watch the clouds roll by. But, before you hastily do so, listen to the following song: http://www.jcbsong.co.uk/jcbvideo.asp If you can relate, then it's time to come out and play with me. Remember, I'm only a few doors down, ready to play whenever you are.

5 comments:

truktruktruk said...

!truK seod sA !evol reh sdnes enaJ

.gniyonna ssel er'uoy tpecxE .drawroF tI yaP eivom eht morf dik taht fo em dnimer ot gnitrats er'uoY

!regnaR rewoP knip eht eb ot teg I sa gnol sA !thgif ruoy ni nioj ot pu em ngiS

.ssilb saw yllaer ecnarongi ,haey tuB .elgnA truK fo ssentaerg eht wonk tey ton did I taht tcaf eht gnirongI .yzaehs 'of ,yad eht ni kcab retteb erew semiT .ecneconni tsol-ecnis fo seiromem ciglatson esoht htiw ezihtapmys I

The Man With The Plan said...

!ambeR

Top-say!

But I get what you are saying. That movie wasn't that bad, actually. And yes, you can be the pink one.

Did you listen to the song at all? I think I've listened to it for quite a few hours now.

truktruktruk said...

For a minute I was wondering what yas-pot meant. I never grasped pig latin that well.

I listened to probably most of the song. It was cutesy, but not really my thing. And plus I can't really relate to the father-son relationship it describes, so I care less.

So I was looking for a song in my music collection that lyrically expressed the same themes (which is hard because I'm conditioned not to pay attention to lyrics since the bulk of my music is unintelligible screaming or instrumental) and the best song I can think of is called The Best Of You by a hardcore band from Vancouver called Go It Alone. Here is a YSI link so you can hear it.

Copy and pasted lyrics:
I'll toss you this plastic smile. A poor disguise for the sorrow behind my eyes. I know you've seen it a thousand times because you're wearing a smile that matches mine. Do you remember feeling whole, feeling innocent? Before you sold yourself for survival, before the horror stole the best of you? Nothing left of the girl in the family photograph. Reality crushes childhood dreams as the years pass. Now you've got survivors eyes that have seen too much and you can't replace whats lost. Do you remember feeling whole, feeling innocent? Before you sold yourself for survival, before the horror stole the best of you? I always wanted so much more for you.


"Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold."
- Amber

The Man With The Plan said...

OH MY! The Outsiders!? Thank you for that. I haven't read that book in so long. I'll get it soon just because of that, you know.

And while you may not have the father-son relationship from there, it still is something that speaks to me because I've been on many fishing trips where we would simply listen to some CDs I brought, sing along, and have a good time while he points out barns and historical sites on the way.

What touched me most about the song is its cuteness. It's very childish in its innocence, and I just love the images that the child provides from his perspective.

When I was five, I wish I could have eaten up the bullies. All adults were giants to me, and being up in a truck made me feel huge.

Plus, Mary Poppins at the end is a nice touch.

truktruktruk said...

I didn't get far enough to see the part with Mary Poppins; that used to be my favourite movie when I was a kiddie, too.

And The Outsiders definately is an awesome book!

It's really deck when you find a song that seems to capture your life perfectly at whatever instant. I've had a few songs that I've listened to repeatedly because of that quality, which fill up the soundtrack of my life.

I am listening to an album called Volcano by pop-punk band Gatsby's American Dream, about a Volcano exploding. It's catchy.