Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Lucky, or just strange?

I was thinking today while watching the morning news, an indulgence that I rarely take part in. There were two little, cute dogs, running back and forth between two trainers. While the dogs were interesting and all, and no doubt there were the focus of the piece, I could not help but absent-mindedly let my focus drift instead to the field upon which the dogs ran.

It was very plain; just grass with some clover interspersed amongst it, along with a few flowers. Yet it was the clover that caught my eye, although I can now not be completely certain whether it was actually clover. The field in it's entirety drifted me softly back to another field upon which I had lay just a few weeks prior, watching ants crawl on my body. The sky was blue, a light breeze in the air, and the temperature was just slightly above ideal, but in the shade it was beautiful.

On that day, my heart had been heavy with things that I needed to say. It turned out that saying the things was beneficial for myself, as it helped to get a burden off me, and also solved a few problems. Ultimately, it lead to my randomly diving into the clover present on the field and rapidly searching for a four-leaf clover.

That action, rash and strange as it were, spawned from another memory, one in which I was watching two younger children scouring the field before them for a four-leaf clover also. This was quite a few years back at a local which I had not been to for at least three years, so the random recollection of the memory was both unexpected and pleasing. But it lead to another idea while I watched the dogs.

I began to reflect on the idea of a four-leaf clover as something special, because it was a mutation. However, this raised the question in my mind: is there a five-leaf clover? I had never heard of any such discovery, but it was interesting to contemplate. I'd like to discover it.

Another idea that came to me was one of cloning. We prize four-leaf clovers for their rarity, but would it not be possible, relatively easily too, to clone one? If so, then they wouldn't be so rare. That idea ties in with that of supply and demand: If the demand is high and the supply is low, then the cost is high. If the supply suddenly increases, then the cost decreases.

Given this, a five-leaf clover would not only be highly prized, but also could be sold for quite a good amount. Ultimately, you could also start to clone them.

So, if anyone finds out about a five-leaf clover or finds one, you may have just stumbled onto a gold mine. Good luck. (And they're after me lucky charms!)

1 comment:

truktruktruk said...

Once my friend found a four-leaf clover. But it might have just been two two-leaf clovers and I was too naive to notice.

But this talk about finding a five-leaf clover excites me for obvious reasons!